Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Colic

I can't decide if I think it is real...can a baby really just cry for no reason at all?? Andrew and I swear that no - a baby must have a reason to cry, be it big or small. Even though Colin cries for no reason and recently more often than just his "fussy time" I still don't know if I believe there is such a thing as colic. Stupid? I just can't believe there isn't a REASON for his apparent discomfort. Maybe I am in denial.

How can my baby go from being happy and smiley - playing on his activity mat and watching the red bird sway - to angry and screaming in just a few hours?

For the record, we have tried:
  • a different formula
  • swaddling
  • pacifier
  • white noise machine
  • gripe water
  • mylicon drops
  • switched to Dr. Browns bottles (even though there are TONS of pieces to clean)
  • bouncer
  • swing
  • car ride
  • walking/bouncing
  • burping
  • rubbing his belly
  • holding his legs up to his chest (hoping to relieve gas)
  • rocking
  • crib wedge
  • stirring the formula instead of shaking it
  • calling Grandma over for help

We have tried multiple combinations of the above mentioned, and the ones that help the most are the swaddling and white noise with the occasional pacifier. For my sanity, having Grandma come over helps the most. I have also read The Happiest Baby on the Block and I am trying to get him used to a routine after reading Babywise. The routine is becoming difficult to set - the mornings look good...and then it goes downhill in the afternoon.

I hate not knowing how to help my son. Is he really crying in pain? Or just "exercising his lungs" so I have been told? When does this crazy period end!?

2 comments:

  1. We struggled with the same thing with Will and discovered that he had acid reflux. He was prescribed zantac (which didn't help) and then prevacid (which did help).

    Colic is real, but I think it is often times an overly used misdiagnosis of a situation that could be solved by some of the things you listed above. However, in the instances where it is real there is prescription medicine that can help. I have a friend who said her baby was like a different child after colic was diagnosed and treated. Hang in there!

    P.S. - Call Mittye!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called the doctor today and they have us trying a probiotic (sp?) drop now. Hopefully this will help, as a lot of his recent fussiness has been during and after feedings. Crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete