Friday, August 22, 2008
Hurry up fall...
Thursday, August 21, 2008
You may remember him from last season with DeAnna. From day one, I had him picked as my favorite and thought he would go far.
It is Jason Mesnick! Come January 2009, he will get his turn to choose from 25 ladies. Also, he will be the first Bachelor to have a son, so I am interested to see what part ABC has Ty play in this process.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
I actually laughed so hard I cried at a couple of the picture listed back in May. Especially the fireman cake. Make sure to read the comments from the person that writes the blog. It makes most of the disasters even funnier.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
I need to scrapbook - I have two cruises I haven't finished scrapbooking for. Yeah, I am kind of behind, but I do better in the winter. It makes sense to stay inside during that time of the year.
Back to my new project - I have been thinking all week about how to organize my favorite recipes. I hate when things don't match so I can't display them (like my nice cookbooks). I have many recipes I have printed online and gotten from others. Today I found my solution. I stumbled on a website called TasteBook. You actually make your own cookbook. They look nice on the website. Maybe I am behind and you have already heard of this. If you haven't check it out when you need to organize your recipes. They are reasonably priced and you can add recipes in the future if you want to expand that cookbook.
It will take me a while to get all my recipes typed in but when I am done I think I will be very happy with the results.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
"Do they call it freestyle because you can pick any stroke? Like breaststroke if you are really good at that?"This individual shall remain nameless, but I assume they thought freestyle swimming was the same thing as freestyle dancing. I guess they also didn't notice that all 8 swimmers in the pool were choosing the exact same stroke during the 100 Freestyle. What are the odds of that happening...in every heat.
Gave me a good laugh.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
2 medium-large sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons light or extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 to 3 garlic cloves
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
One 32-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 or 2 small fresh hot chilies, minced,
or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt to taste
1) Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes on high until just firm, about 3 to 4 minutes per potato. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 3/4-inch dice. Set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the bell pepper, beans, tomatoes, chilies, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
3) Season lightly with salt. If time allows, let stand off the heat for 1 or 2 hours, then heat through as needed.
Embellish it: Pass a bowl of chopped fresh cilantro for sprinkling over the top of individual portions.
Total Fat: 5 g
Protein: 8 g
Fiber: 8.5 g
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 222 mg
Found the recipe here. I will probably be buying this cookbook.
Monday, August 11, 2008
Today I wanted to check out how he was doing and if his website had been updated. I looked at new pictures of his cake designs (and wished I have picked one of those for mine - they are amazing!) and then noticed a link to read his blog. There wasn't much on the blog; maybe 5 or 6 entries so I assume he is pretty busy. But, boy, was I surprised to read in his second to last post that he designed the wedding cake for Sara Evans! I couldn't find any pictures and was disappointed but it sounded so cute!
If you get a chance, take a look at his website. I love that the cakes both look and taste amazing. He is a wonderful artist!
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Remember, always wear your old clothes to the Bark Park...my dog isn't the only wild one that will greet you with dirty paws. =)
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Monday, August 4, 2008
NOTE: If I do this, it is not because I have become a hippie. I love animals, but I also believe God put them on this earth and put us above them and made them a source of food for us. I have never been much of a meat eater
- I pick the chicken out of my Lean Cuisine lunches
- If I am the one preparing meat for dinner, I usually don't eat it. I can't stand to see raw meat or to touch it. For this reason, I am not allowed in the kitchen on Thanksgiving b/c when/if I see the raw bird, I don't eat it. My mom knows that and says I have always been that way.
- If I do eat a chicken breast, I usually only eat a little less than half of one.
- I eat beef only about 4 times a year. That would be when Andrew is out of town and I go to Red Robin. And even then I have been ordering the "petite sized" burger. So I really am not eating much of that.
Andrew and I both agree the hardest thing to give up would be turkey sandwiches. I like it because it is easy - someone else cooks and slices it fresh. No work for me. Oh, and BBQ...but we no longer have a BBQ place near us, so that problem is fixed.
Anyone out there have information on eating vegetarian?
OH! Just a thought! I might actually learn to enjoy cooking if I never have to touch dead animal!
Anyway, off to do some research on this. Again, I would be doing this for health reasons...not because I would be joining forces with PETA.