Monday, August 4, 2008

Vegetarian?

Andrew has been tossing this idea around for a while and I think we might actually try it. This will be a gradual switch, but I frankly don't know enough about the health benefits to change my entire diet today (especially since I went grocery shopping yesterday and already purchased a pound of chicken breasts and a pork tenderloin). What I have found so far is that vegetarians are naturally slimmer than those who eat meat, obviously b/c the fat is cut out of the diet. That fat would be replaced with other fats (from nuts) but from what I understand, that is replacing a bad fat with a good fat. I am not really clear on what are good and bad fats, so I want to be educated on that also.

NOTE: If I do this, it is not because I have become a hippie. I love animals, but I also believe God put them on this earth and put us above them and made them a source of food for us. I have never been much of a meat eater
  • I pick the chicken out of my Lean Cuisine lunches
  • If I am the one preparing meat for dinner, I usually don't eat it. I can't stand to see raw meat or to touch it. For this reason, I am not allowed in the kitchen on Thanksgiving b/c when/if I see the raw bird, I don't eat it. My mom knows that and says I have always been that way.
  • If I do eat a chicken breast, I usually only eat a little less than half of one.
  • I eat beef only about 4 times a year. That would be when Andrew is out of town and I go to Red Robin. And even then I have been ordering the "petite sized" burger. So I really am not eating much of that.

Andrew and I both agree the hardest thing to give up would be turkey sandwiches. I like it because it is easy - someone else cooks and slices it fresh. No work for me. Oh, and BBQ...but we no longer have a BBQ place near us, so that problem is fixed.

Anyone out there have information on eating vegetarian?

OH! Just a thought! I might actually learn to enjoy cooking if I never have to touch dead animal!

Anyway, off to do some research on this. Again, I would be doing this for health reasons...not because I would be joining forces with PETA.

No comments:

Post a Comment