Sunday, November 6, 2011

Jalapeno Cornbread

This recipe is straight of the package of Arrowhead Mills Organic Yellow Corn Meal. I don't think I will ever make another corn bread. I only changed one thing and it was minor.

1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp honey
1 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2-4 jalapeno peppers, chopped (this is what I changed - I like a little can of those fire roasted chili peppers better. But that's just me.)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.

Saute your onion in the tsp of vegetable oil until soft, about 5 minutes.

Combine the flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl combine the butter, honey, milk, and eggs. Add the wet mixture to the dry and combine until just moistened.

Add the onions, 1 cup of the cheese, and the peppers. Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment