Friday, July 4, 2008

Firecracker Cupcakes

Happy 4th of July! I am sure you are celebrating by eating some goodies in red, white and blue! Here is one to add to your list for next year! Another easy one from Kraft Foods:

24 Yellow Cupcakes
2 cups thawed Cool Whip
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
4 drops each of blue and red food coloring
24 Red string licorice pieces

PLACE 1/2 cup of the coconut in each of two separate resealable plastic
bags; set remaining 1/2 cup coconut aside. Add blue food coloring to coconut in one bag and red food coloring to coconut in second bag. Seal bags; shake until coconut is evenly tinted.

SPREAD tops of cupcakes with whipped topping. Sprinkle with red, white (uncolored) and blue coconut as desired; press coconut gently into whipped topping to secure.

INSERT licorice piece into top of each cupcake for the firecracker's fuse. Store in refrigerator.


Good luck finding the string licorice pieces. I couldn't track any down so they aren't in the picture of my cupcakes. I ended up buying the regular licorice and cutting it into thinner pieces. Another option that I about tried, but didn't have time to search for, are those sour straws. I don't like licorice, so I will definately look for those next time. Also, I only had the gel food coloring, but I think it would be easier if you had the liquid kind. The gel made it hard to spread throughout the coconut. Just an observation I made.


**This cupcake stand was part of my amazing birthday gift from Cassie. I love that I can display cupcakes now!

1 comment:

  1. YAY YAY YAY! I love the cupcakes! (And the stand isn't half bad either!) Very nice. I have to admit though, that I'm not the biggest coconut fan. I've been trying to think of something else that would have the same effect, but it's obvious that coconut is the perfect look. Pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete