Thursday, July 7, 2011

Marinara Sauce

By now it is no secret that I have found many winning recipes from Skinnytaste.com.

Here is a marinara sauce from the website that I made one day and froze in three separate Zip Lock containers. I pull them out as we need marinara sauce with our dinner. I will double next time so I have more on hand.

2 (28 oz) cans imported crushed tomatoes (Tuttoroso)
3 close garlic, smashed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion finely chopped
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup fat free chicken stock
fresh basil

Saute garlic in oil, add onions and carrots and saute on medium-low for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer 45 minutes on low.

Add fresh basil last 10 minutes (herbs will become bitter if cooked more than 20 minutes).

Taste for acidity, if sauce is a bit tangy (acidic) then add 1 Tbsp of sugar. For a calorie free way to cut acidity in the sauce add 1/2 tsp of baking soda.

2 PointsPlus for each 1 cup serving. 8 servings per recipe.

*I used my food processor to get the finely chopped carrots and onion. I am lazy like that. Plus, it probably makes the sauce a little smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment