Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Gluten Free Herb Rolls

Starting at the very end of September I was having really bad stomach pain. I couldn't eat much of anything and my stomach burned non-stop. Thinking my NSAID had given me an ulcer or gastritis, I was advised to stop them and started lots of different acid reducer and blockers. One of the other things my GI doctor had me do was start at Low FODMAP diet. Google if your interested in specifics, but it cuts out a lot of things that could possible irritate my stomach. It hasn't been awful but the few I miss are gluten/wheat, dairy, onions, & garlic.

In December I had a scope and my stomach look absolutely fine. No ulcers or irritation. Just to be safe we checked my gallbladder and pancreas and other organs around there. They were perfect. So we assume I have GERD.

Anyway, my Dr asked me to stick to this diet for a while longer to see if it helped me with any of my symptoms. So you may start to see some recipes that I label Gluten Free, Lactose/Dairy Free, or Low FODMAP and that's why.

So here's my first one: a gluten free dinner roll. I found these on Pinterest and even Andrew liked them. They graced the Thanksgiving dinner table and will be on the Christmas dinner table as well. Enjoy!

1 1/4 cup milk (I used lactose free milk)
2 Tbsp butter
2 1/4 tsp yeast (or 1 packet)
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup potato starch
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
1 tsp each dried rosemary, thyme, and sage
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large eggs

Grease and rice flour a regular 12 count muffin tin.

Combine the milk and butter in a microwavable bowl and heat until it reaches 110-120 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine the yeast and sugar. Whisk in the heated milk/butter mixture then set to the side while it proofs.

In another bowl combine the tapioca flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and dried herbs.

Once the yeast is proofed (about 10 minutes), mix in olive oil and eggs on low speed. Slowly beat in flour mixture. Beat on high speed for at least 1 1/2 minutes until very well combined.

Scoop the dough into the muffin cups. Wet your finger tips and gently smooth out the top of each one. Use kitchen scissors to snip the dough in each cup in half, then in half again so you have quarters.

Brush the tops of the with a small amount of olive oil so the plastic wrap doesn't stick. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To bake, preheat the oven to 350. Bake for 28-35 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter. Let cool in the an for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.

The recipe also says you can leave in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking, but I've only ever done it overnight.

*Source

No comments:

Post a Comment