Monday, June 27, 2011

Mayo Free Chicken Salad

I'm on a search for new lunch recipes. We usually have left overs for lunch or Lean Cuisines. Sometimes neither of these exist in our house. So I realized I need to bulk up our lunch menu a bit. I want to find recipes that use ingredients that I likely already have around the kitchen. So I started with this chicken salad recipe.

I hate mayo. It was created by the devil. I once had to mix a dip that used mayo and I thought I might throw up my lunch just from the smell.

So I was really excited when I found a chicken salad recipe that used NO mayo. I tweaked it and made it my own.

1 can (12.5 oz) chicken, white meat
1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/4 of a red onion, chopped finely
18 grapes, halved
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper + more to taste
pinch of salt

Drain canned chicken and place in a bowl. Use a fork to shred the chicken. Add the yogurt, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and combine. Add the celery, onion, and grapes and then cover and place in refrigerator.

Chill for a few hours or overnight to allow all the flavors to combine.

Serve on sandwich bread or a croissant.

This makes 3 servings and is 3 PointsPlus per serving (no bread included).

Get creative and try your own combos. I plan on trying cranberries and almonds in place of the grapes and also trying apples and walnuts. Those change would change the points value, but my be worth it if you want something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment