Saturday, September 20, 2008

I spent all morning in the kitchen

Why? Because I am trying something new. There are only two of us, and that creates a lot of waste. If we don't finish something, it sits in the fridge for a few days and then neither of us wants to eat it. We aren't leftover people. After one day, we throw it out. See? Wastefuland expensive. We also like to eat a few things that are labor intensive, so they don't get made that often. Luckily, they freeze really well! So this morning I made a double batch of veggie chili and a regular sized lasagna. First I made my lasagna and while it was baking I made the chili. Hopefully, we will throw out less food which will save us money in the long run. The other reason I decided to try this was because sometimes it is so much work to make dinner, and this is easy. Pop the homemade dinner out of the freezer and heat it up. I portioned them in individual sizes so that we can each eat different things if we want also. We will see how this works!

Lasagna is cooling while my chili is simmering and waiting for the addition of the sweet potatoes.

Downside - the mess it made! But I got quite a few servings out of it!

Also, I found the pasta bowls at Harry & David and I LOVE them. I might have to go get some more. I only bought two...
Tomorrow I am probably going to be working on cookie dough. I love having frozen cookie dough (and frozen cookies). Well worth the time of making extra to freeze!

1 comment:

  1. yeah- i do this!
    my momma taught an entire class on cooking for the freezer. i'll have to give you a copy of the recipes and the handouts.
    and, i have a new recipe for you. spinach lasagna- it's yummy. i put it on tastebook

    ReplyDelete