Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tummy Sleeping

You see this tired little boy??


There is a tired mommy and daddy to go with it. Last night we started operation de-swaddle. Epic Fail. We were up all night replacing a paci and patting him back to sleep, because he would smack himself awake. So at 4:30, I decided to get up and just start the day - it is a lot of work trying to get him back down when he isn't used to having his arms free. He took a bottle and by 5:10, he was out cold.

So I laid him down in his crib so I could get ready for the day and eat breakfast. When I set him down on his back, he instantly rolled onto his belly...and was fast asleep. Kind of freaked me out, but I figure if he can get there himself, shouldn't it be OK to leave him there? I mean, come on. What am I supposed to do? Go in every 1/2 hour at night and flip him back over?

He finally slept soundly for 2 hours until I had to get him up and take him to my mom's. Don't worry, I check on him every 15 minutes because I am paranoid.

Is it so wrong to give into the tummy sleeping when he puts himself there? I am not placing him in the crib on his belly, so I am not encouraging it in anyway. Should I remove the bumper in his crib? If I do that, will he knock his head on the wood rails? I am honestly clueless. The pedi said once he can roll onto his belly himself, he is ok to sleep that way...but I am still nervous. I am trying to avoid going out and buying the $100 motion sensor baby monitor, but part of me thinks it might ease my mind.

I am going to see what he does tonight with out the swaddle and sleep positioner. (Oh, and he somehow manages to wiggle either out the top of or down the bottom of the sleep positioner. It no longer serves a purpose, so I don't feel it is safe having is in there.)

3 comments:

  1. If he's happy on his tummy let him sleep that way, ESP if he's already rolling over! I know several babies that sleep on their tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - he is fine on his tummy since he can roll over himself. Dont worry - I was a nervous wreck when Nate started this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just as nervous as you when Will started rolling over onto his tummy to sleep. I even called Mittye to be sure it was ok! I'll tell you what she told me. Once they can roll to their belly themselves, it's just fine to leave them that way. As a matter of fact, she said he should start sleeping better and longer. I found that to be true for Will, hope it is for your little guy too!

    ReplyDelete