Tuesday, December 22, 2009

So what kind of person are you?

Are you a pack rat or do you like to get rid of stuff? A few weeks ago I was boxing up Colin's clothing that didn't fit anymore (he is already in 6-9 and 6-12 month clothes!) and decided that there was no point in keeping ALL of them. I picked out stuff that he didn't wear much (or at all) or that wasn't my favorite and I took them to Once Upon a Child to sell. I told Andrew not to tell either of our mothers I did that. My Mom already had a cow when I told her I gave my neighbor some of Colin's newborn sized clothes for her little boy due any time now.

Yesterday my Dad mentioned to me that one company that leases office space from us has a receptionist that is pregnant. She is due with a boy and is about 7 or 8 month along. I already hate her b/c I couldn't even tell....OK, just kidding. But I wish I looked like her and I am not pregnant. Anyway, he said that if I had any of Colin's clothes to get rid of to pass them her way. I had to tell him I already sold a good chunk of it, but not to mention it to Mom.

That got us on the subject of pack rats. He said Mom has never been much of a pack rat but she saves TONS of baby stuff. Evidently she even had HER baby crib in the attic until recently when she finally got rid of it. That thing was about 48-49 years old.

My Grandma (my Dad's mom) is the worst of the worst. This woman saves scraps of fabric. I mean tiny little scraps. She gave us sewing lessons when I was in grade school and we used them to practice, but still. What other purpose do they serve? She would save tiny pieces of yarn...they had empty bottles stored in the fridge. Junk....everywhere.

In fact, when I was little my Mom would give each of us $1 for each person we were to buy a gift for and we would go to the dollar store. I remember finding the random Hershey's Chocolate tin - it had the design of the a house at Christmas on it. There were a few different designs of Christmas houses but I picked the blue one. Christmas came and went and few months later I was in her sewing room where on a shelf I looked up and saw SIX of the exact same tins just stacked up. The exact same design and everything.

The jury is still out in if my brother and sister are pack rats. I think they are just messy to it makes it hard to tell. I, however, get rid of everything. Our trash can is always full b/c I always have "stuff" to put in there. I try to give it away first but if it isn't gone fast it goes straight to the trash.

I kept some of his baby clothes that were my absolute favorites and that he would wear a lot. But I also figured that I pay for digital photo storage and take plenty of photos so I will be able to see those clothes again in the hundred million pictures I take.

What about you?

3 comments:

  1. What are you thinking, getting rid of some of Colin's clothes already???? What if you have another boy????

    I am all about getting rid of junk (hello, I think PURGE is my middle name). But I am holding onto all of Nate's baby clothes right now, and lots of his other "baby" stuff. Just in case of another child/boy, or to give to my sisters or even friends. It's just too soon to part with it for me! But don't worry, I wont hold onto it all for 40-50 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not a pack rat. I do have boxes of letters/pictures/notes and stuff that I've kept over the years, but that's it. I don't like junk. Ben is worse than me and he gets it from his mom - she's the worst pack rat there is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still kept some of his clothes. If we have another boy, he will get new clothes. I have issues with ALL hand me downs. I hated them and I felt like that is all I got sometimes. You know even if you kept all of Nate's clothes you would buy your new boy more of "his own." And what if they were different sizes in different season? See, too many reason NOT to get rid of some of them. Trust me, I still have plenty.

    And I am not getting rid of the BIG items (swing, car seat bases, etc). I lend those out, but I don't get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete