Saturday, December 20, 2008

What not to say to a pregnant woman

OK, so I am not that pregnant, but there are a few things I have found to be...inapproiate...rude...to say to a pregnant woman. First, was it an accident? When friends ask, no biggie. When a stranger (or someone you really don't talk to very often) asks this, it is rude. Why is it someone else's business? I have been nice so far, but some poor person is going to catch me on a bad day and I might have to respond with, "No, it wasn't an accident. Would you like to know the exact day and hour this child was conceived?"

Next - this happened this evening at my office's Christmas dinner (at B McNeel's - LOVE it!). We had tons of good food and I said, "I like this eating for two thing!" My ever so thoughtful father said back to me, "Well, you know you will have to lose the weight after the baby is born." I told him he better not call me fat any time these next few months or I may forget to run his payroll. Do not comment on a pregnant woman's weight, or even their future weight. Weight is a touchy subject for any woman, but is especially so when they are aware they will get bigger in the next few months.

End of vent...

3 comments:

  1. Just wait till someone asks if you are carrying TWINS! I had that happen to me twice. If looks could kill...

    Check out this blog:
    http://pcrawford.myncblogs.com/

    It is a friend from college (well, her hubbie is my friend from college), and the most hilarious blog ever! All about being preggo. She is due in Feb and not finding out the sex either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The woman who checked us in at the hotel in Chicago this weekend seriously said to me, "Are you pregnant, honey? I can tell because your face is all chubby and pregnant." Then went on to ask Darin if he could tell how fat my face was getting. I'm pretty sure the bad rep about mean pregnant women is actually just provoked. Who says these things to people and expects them to be sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is when you should have said to her, "Yeah, it's becuase I am pregnant. What is your excuse?" or "You have a pretty chubby face also. When are you due?" Sorry, I will have absolutely no tolerance for those that truely lack manners.

    ReplyDelete