Sunday, March 6, 2011

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

Here is another Giada recipe. I made it exactly as it was written the first time and Andrew didn't like it - he said it was way too sweet. I am down for anything that tastes like a cookie so I didn't mind it. The only problem I had was that they were too soft to cut. They just fell apart. I made them again today and made a few adjustments So, here is the recipe and I will put any change in ingredients I made out to the side in bold italics.

Vegetable cooking spray
1 egg white
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (1/3 cup chunky peanut butter)
1/3 cup brown sugar (1/4 cup brown sugar)
1/2 cup (1-stick) butter (6 Tbsp butter)
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted)
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 7 by 10 3/4-inch nonstick baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Lay a 6 by 18-inch piece of parchment paper in the pan, allowing the excess paper to hang over the sides. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, using a hand beater, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey. Add the melted butter, oats and almonds. Stir to combine, then add the chocolate chips.

Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture into the prepared baking pan, pressing lightly to form an even layer.

Bake until the edge of the mixture begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares and serve.

When it came to baking it the second time around I did it differently. I divided the mixture evenly into sprayed muffin pans to make 12 individual servings. I still baked at 350 for 15 minutes. To get them out I let them cool in the pans on a cookie rack, ran a knife around the edges, then flippd them out onto a paper towel. We liked them better this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment