Monday, November 15, 2010

Apple-Streusel Muffins

I found this recipe in an old Fitness Magazine this weekend. The only ingredient I had trouble finding was the apple pie spice. I ended up using cinnamon, but I will keep looking for the apple pie spice and try this recipe again. I think I over mixed the batter because they were a little dense and I forgot to spray the muffin liner with non-stick spray. I like the flavor so I am going to try them again this week or next while the buttermilk I bought is still good and see if I get better results when I fix the above mentioned things.

I remade these using the apple pie spice (found it at the Smyrna Publix) and didn't use any paper muffin cups. I just used a little Crisco on the muffin tins themselves. They are perfect. I ate one for breakfast and I froze 8 of them. Hopefully they thaw out well for a quick breakfast. The Weight Watcher calculator gives them a points value of 3.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple pie spice
¼ tsp salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp canola oil
¾ cup shredded apple with skin
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1 Tbsp butter

Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly coat twelve 2½-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, ⅓ cup brown sugar, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.

In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with a fork; stir in buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at one to flour mixture; stir until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold i apple. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters of the way.

In a small bowl, combine pecans, flaxseeds, and remaining brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spoon pecan mixture on top of muffin batter.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack 5 minutes; remove from cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment