Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Holiday Traditions

Andrew and I have started discussing what traditions we want to call ours each Christmas. I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss and share since it is right around the corner!

What we want to call "ours":
  • Everyone opens a gift Christmas Eve containing new Christmas PJs to wear that night (I am not big into ornaments, so PJs it is!). I already bought this year's PJs and I can't wait to see the little man sporting his!
  • An afternoon of making and baking Christmas cookies - more my thing that Andrew's but he benefits!
  • Leaving cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer
  • At least one Christmas activity like "ICE" or visiting Opryland Hotel or a Christmas show as Colin gets older
  • We have to watch Christmas Vacation every year and we usually throw in Just Friends for even more laughs. And even if it is by myself, I will watch all 3 of The Santa Clause movies.
  • Fresh, hot, homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning (this one is one my Mom does and I love it)
  • And of course, reading the Christmas Story
What does your family do every year or what are you going to start doing?

2 comments:

  1. We do an ornament every year. I scrapbook a picture of the ornament and why we got that one. These go on the tree in the bonus room.

    We also do a photo ornament on our big tree down stairs. That way in 20 years we can see how the kiddos have grown.

    We will do four gifts under the tree for Bates: something to wear (most likely pjs!), something to read, something you want, and something you need. We open these on Christmas eve.

    A HUGE breakfast on Christmas morning- breakfast casserole, sausage biscuts, cinnamon rolls, etc.

    Read the Christmas story.

    Candlelight service on Christmas Eve.

    hmmm, there are more, but that's the best I can do off the top of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we do the photo ornaments every year too.

    and - I got this from my mom - I buy a hallmark ornament for each kid every year, depending on what they're "into"....big surprise, N is getting a toy story one this yr!

    for xmas eve dinner, we do a pizza picnic under the tree (again, one I got from my mom)

    carrots, cookie, milk & letter for santa xmas eve.

    we go see xmas lights every year too - if we're here, opryland hotel, or in NC there is a thing called festival of lights that you drive thru.

    xmas morning: stockings, big breakfast, open presents.

    and - this one will make you laugh - while we're decorating the tree, the 1st xmas cd I always put in is "All I Want for Xmas" by mariah carey! ha!

    leah - love your pj tradition btw! and gosh this is getting me really excited for xmas! I will have to check back and see what other people's traditions are!

    ReplyDelete